One of Matthew’s Top 10 foods would probably be blueberries. Last summer, he would shovel them into his mouth with both hands, straight off the bush, as fast as he possibly could. Needless to say, I know that anything I put blueberry on, he’ll love. I decided to try making some blueberry jam for him that I would jar and use on toast, in homemade poptarts, topping on various cakes and biscuits, etc. Heck, rewarming it a little and putting it on ice cream is amazing, too!
I didn’t want to make it super sugary, though, and I wanted to add something healthier into it. Enter chia seeds and honey. This recipe is super simple but uber tasty. The chia seed acts as the agent to gel the jam and adds in some “superfood” quality, too. Local honey sweetens it up just a little (it’s only a couple of tablespoons per two CUPS of blueberries) and helps with our allergies, too! The few drops of lemon essential oil add an awesome citrus brightness to the blueberries without making it too thin to really turn into jam. Plus, it adds some awesome essential oil benefits which basically makes it a second superfood in your guilty pleasure!
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 T local honey
2 T chia seed
3 drops lemon essential oil
- Combine blueberries and honey in a saucepan over medium heat.
- As they heat up, they’ll start to burst. Feel free to mash some if you want it smoother, but we like having some left to chew on.
- After 7-10 minutes of cooking the blueberries down, add the chia seed in and continue to let it cook over medium heat until it reaches a jam-like consistency.
- Pull off the heat and let it cool some. Once it’s warm, but not hot, add the drops of lemon essential oil and taste. Add more if you’d like it more lemon-y.
- Use immediately on everything or can it if you think you can stand to wait!